Try This Yummy Cheese Tortellini Soup! Food for your Soul!

This soup is good soul food. It is great with a bit of some old world Artisan bread and a glass of white wine. Sometimes, I get tired of eating the same old thing. It really is nice to try a little something new. This receipe is simple, super easy and best of all quick too. It has a lot of vegetables and my children loved it and ate all of their dinner tonight.

Here is what you need:

2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped and minced
1 cup of chopped leeks ( or regular onion if you have that)
3/4 cup of chopped carrots
4 big mushrooms chopped
3 to 4 handfuls of baby spinach cleaned and rinsed
1 tablespoon of olive oil or canola oil
7 cups of chicken broth
1 teaspoon of thyme (I used dried, fresh is always better!)
Pinch of red chili pepper flakes
Pepper to taste
1 pound of cheese tortellini (usually found in the frozen section)
1/4 pound or 1 cup of chopped kielbasa sausage.
- (your choice beef, turkey, or sausage)
- chop sausage into quarters, small pieces shaped like triangles.

1. First I place a large deep pot on medium high heat, then I start the olive oil for about 2 or so minutes. I then throw in the garlic..get the juices flowing from the garlic into the oil for 1 minute..don't let them burn or get brown. Add the leeks, the carrots, the mushrooms, thyme, pepper flakes and the sausage. Saute for about 8 to 10 minutes or so until the sausage looks browned and the vegetables are softer. This process seeps the flavors out.
2. Add about 1 cup of broth to start and scrap the bottom of the pot..mmm flavors are right there. Then, add the other 6 cups of broth and bring to a boil and them simmer. Place lid on top of pan for about 8 to 10 minutes.

3. Add cheese tortellini and let this heat for about 12 minutes or till softened to your liking. I like mine soft..some like it more chewy? But use a fork and feel the texture occasionally. At last, you may add the beautiful green spinach and this will wilt within one or so minutes. I added 3 cups or big handfuls of spinach, but I like a lot of spinach.

I served easily 4 adults and sprinkled Parmesan cheese over the very warm soup. Serve it with some good artisan bread and butter, a glass of wine, AND Call it good.

Enjoy my friends. Please leave a comment and tell me your thoughts, or ideas! Have a great day.

5 comments:

Julia Guthrie said...

That looks like a delicious soup...its now been bookmarked for future reference! :)
Thanks:)
Julia x

Steph said...

I'll definately have to try this, I love soup! Seems to be a more 'heartier' version of a soup my Italian Grandmother makes- she keeps it simple...well as simple as homemade stock and homemade capeletti/tortellini. I'm storebought all the way!

Carey Kingsbury said...

Ooh, this soup looks yummy! I needed a new way to serve tortellini. Thanks.

Heather said...

that looks really yummy! Will have to try it this weekend...

Anonymous said...

oh yum!!! well i just gotta try this out cause it looks too delicious! Thanks for sharing!