My New Workbench - Beginning Metal Smithing

metal smithing jewelers work bench
Okay, so I am not sure this is all so important to be sharing, but, I thought what the heck! I found my so called "new" work bench for applying my newbie metal smithing skills to. I still am waiting for much of my equipment and the desk sits a little lonely. But, at least you can really see it right now and check it out!

I found this great steal on Craigslist for $50 bucks. It's called a "bankers desk". It has 6 drawers and two pullout shelves on each side. I pulled one out for visual purposes. This desk is solid wood and really really heavy. It is 5 feet wide and 39 inches deep for a table top..lots of space! It is a bit beat looking, but I think it might do the trick while I get started with this endeavor.

beginning metal smithingMy sweet husband Chuck, cleared out a space in his shop/garage for me so that I can pursue my endeavors with a bit of space. Now if I had it my way, I would rather him build me a cute work studio outside of my house instead. But, maybe later...hopefully!

You can always check out your own community craigslist. It seems to me that there are a whole lot of great deals going on. You might be lucky enough to catch something for free even. Really.
jewelers workbenchOR, if you can afford it,maybe, you would like to purchase a jewelers workbench shown above. This one is on sale at OttoFrei.com for $369 not including another $70 to $90 for shipping. At some point I hope to attain one of these, I think. If you are shopping for one, make sure it is solid wood built. For now I will make do and save this money for a nice rotary Foredom Flexshaft tool instead.

So, I have to admit, I am drooling to set this beautiful oval kyanite cabochon gemstone in some creation of mine. My mind is going coo coo about learning how to do this. I also have to add a picture of something pretty on my blog..these old pictures just don't do it justice! But of course if your looking for a cab or two you can always check out 101 Best Beads!

oval kyanite cabochon
I will be going on vacation for a few days so when I return I will continue my journal in metal smithing adventures here on my blog. By then I will have my space set up with some equipment and tools. STay tuned..and thanks for your comments always!

5 comments:

Metallo Bianco Jewelry said...

The desk will work perfectly! Good find! I love the cab...I have gotten some beautiful stones from them too. Can't wait to see what you make!

Margot Darko at On a Roll said...

That is one serious, hardworking desk! And a great deal too.

Anonymous said...

I'm just getting into metalsmithing myself. We have a nice little workshop in our back yard that I've finally convinced my husband to let me use for my studio! I just ordered my torch and other equipment, and I can't wait to set up shop!

Best of luck to you!

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You may , perhaps curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a proper partner utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://pesijymuk.maddsites.com/ymaducyt.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Dear friends

We do not agree with this year BRIT awards 2010 decision.

Please attend our little survey

http://micropoll.com/t/KDqOnZBCWt

Lady Gaga can not be better than Madonna

Poll supported by BRIT awards 2010 sponsor femmestyle
[url=http://www.femmestyle.ch/schoenheitschirurgie/brustverkleinerung/index.html]brustverkleinerung[/url]

BRITs.co.uk - tickets left standing!! This Competition is now closed
OK